500 Internal Server Error or Blank White Page
The 500 Internal Server Error is a very general HTTP status code meaning something has gone wrong on the server but the server cannot be more specific on what the problem is.
The Blank White Page is the same but, in this case, your server is not setup to display the errors.
The first step you have to do is to try to show the error message so you can understand what are causing this problem.
Showing the errors
Here are the steps you can follow:
- Login your administration
- Go to System > Settings > Edit yout store
- Click on the tab called Server
- Set to 0 the Output Compression Level
- Check Yes for Display Errors
- Click on Save button
- Use your favourite programme and open php.ini (in the root of your site)
- Add this code
display_errors = 1;
error_reporting = E_ALL;
log_errors = 1;
- Save and overwrite to your online installation
Showing the errors: the alternative method
It can happen your server is not setup to read the php.ini
In this case:
- Download index.php (n the root of your site) on your local PC
- Open this file and add below
- Save and overwrite
Note: Do not forget to remove this code once you'll understand and fix the problem.
Help Topics: Support | Last updated
23 Apr 2014